Monday, May 26, 2008

HANK RAY PLAYS GUITAR FOR BLT'S NEW RECORD
















THIS IS A BLOG FROM BLT'S SITE: (actually, the clock just struck twelve, and so now it's officially yesterday's) underground recording session at Bakersfield School of Music and Recording. The session featured me, Dr. BLT, and the Starbuckaroos. They joined me in the recording of several original new songs from my forthcoming CD, From Buck Owens Boulevard to Merle Haggard Drive.

Walter Stormont played tambourine on the song you're hearing here, Average White Guy. The newest member of the band, Hank Ray played some killer lead guitar and Jerry Rothberg played drums and sax. Reggie Langendorfer, seated in this photo, is the studio engineer. He also fills in on various instruments as needed.

We recorded 6 songs in a period of 3 hours, and that's with lots of wasted time that I subjected my band mates too with myriad diversions. They are all nearly complete, but need to be mixed down. In addition to Average White Guy, the songs include Kick-Ass Country; If You Wanna be the Next Buck Owens, From Buck Owens Boulevard to Merle Haggard Drive, Country Punk, and Singin' is a Man's way of Cryin'.

We turn now to the Starbuckaroos, formerly known as Dr. BLT and the Rolling Scones and before that, Dr. BLT and the Yellow Submarine Sandwiches. Boys, how would you describe your experience in the studio?"

I met BLT at the Green room. Next we played together at this benefit. "Dr. B.L.T. (Bruce L. Thiessen, Ph.D.), but you can call me Bruce or Dr. BLT. I'm a singer/songwriter who writes, records, and produces his own music in his own storytelling style, but he also brings in other artists as performers, vocalists, and co-writers who offer their own creative interpretation of his unique style. My music credentials include: recently placing a song on the top 30 at #21 at mp3000.net with a song that has become known as The Black Santa Song; getting national airplay; and having a cameo on an MTV-award-nominated music video by Cake for a song called Short Skirt/Long Jacket. In addition to being a singer/songwiter, I have a day job. I am a clinical/forensic psychologist, a university instructor. I was born and raised in Canada, but I am a dual citizen, a long-time resident of California, and a current resident of Bakersfield. For ten years, I've been write articles that integrate psychological principles and spiritual insights for Vocations and Prayer magazine. For nearly as long, I've been writing an advice column, writing interview/profile pieces, and doing CD reviews for the e-zine, Phantom Tollbooth: http://www.tollbooth.org I am the "Fan in Black," who wrote and released an entire CD featuring original songs about the life and music of Johnny Cash. If you've visited Russo's at the Marketplace recently, you'll also notice that I've released several other CDs, including Confessions of a Buckaholic, a Buck Owens tribute CD featuring original songs about the life and music of Buck Owens. I listen to, write, and record modern rock, alt rock, retro rock, classic rock, country, alt country and many more styles of music. I write and record a new song almost every day. What can I say? Music rocks! PS: "I am always looking for vocaiist and other musician to perform, and record my many many songs. So if you live in the Bakersfield area and would like a chance to record one of my songs please contact me" THIS IS FROM BAKOTOPIA.COM

No comments: